Friday, August 21, 2009

Teach for India


How many of you have thought of doing something for Indian education system which sucks big time. Such a huge inequality exist between rural and urban India...male and female. Just to quote the number literacy rate in India is 66% (in China it is 91%), male literacy is some 76% and female literacy is 54%. Can you imagine what it would be at the rural level? In my district East Champaran, arguably one of most backward district of one of the most backward state Bihar it come to 38% in all (50% for male and 25% for female). Sure India is making huge progress, but 3 out of 4 women in my district is not educated. Situation is really alarming. Thanks to all these private schools, had we been dependent on govt schools we could have been still illiterates.

Anyway the point is, I came across a concept of Teach of India which has been designed after Teach for America (yeah! yeah! it's not original but it is I guess a subsidiary). It takes top institute students (IITs, IIMs, BITs and others) to volunteer students for 2 years, 2 YEARS. It's huge. It has been a success in US, I wonder how many in India would have courage to do that. Peer pressure, parental pressure and what about acceptance in industry after that.

I am skeptical but nevertheless I have applied for its Campus Ambassador Programme where my job would be convince 2nd Year seniors to opt for this :)

All that gyan about education in India is coming because I am doing a project in one of the courses on Universal Literacy and Primary Education where we need to come up with 10 points which will be sent to Prime Minister of India (BIG).